How to Work From Home as a Virtual Assistant or Online Business Manager
Virtual Assistants (VAs) [sometimes called an online business manager or OBM] work just like a regular office assistant, but as an independent contractor (freelancer) from their own home.
This has many advantages for someone with a mobile or laptop lifestyle. Here are a few:
- You can work with clients located anywhere in the world.
- You can work with people in any time zone.
- You make your own hours and set your own prices.
- You work when it is convenient for you and your family.
Some VAs like to call themselves Online Business Managers (OBMs), the choice is up to you!
Some examples of the type of work you can do as a virtual assistant:
- Type letters, resumes, marketing materials, reports etc.
- Transcribe audio files for podcasters who want to repurpose their shows as blog posts.
- Make social media posts for online entrepreneurs.
- Conduct online research.
- Event planning.
- Gather photos, links, and background data.
- Accounting, bookkeeping, and data entry.
- Update, develop, design, or promote websites.
- Handle your client's schedule, appointments, meeting agenda, sales goals, travel arrangements, purchases, or gift buying.
How much can you make as a virtual assistant?
It depends on whether you structure your fees "by the project" or "by the hour." For example, many VAs make between $30-80/hour, depending on their skills and client load.
Here's how to get started:
- Decide what services you will offer.
- Determine your fee structure.
- Set up your website.
- Choose 2 social media platforms to market your services.
- Start building an online portfolio by offering your services for free to a few select clients.
5 Ways to Generate Your Own Income From Skills You Already Have